Monday, March 19, 2012

Who are you and what is this blog about?

That's a difficult question to answer, but I'll give it a try.  I'll start with who I am:  I'm a fellow who happens to have a wide variety of interests, a desire to write about them, and no outlet for doing so, hence this blog.

 In case some of you want a bit more background than that I'll tell you that I've been in and out of college (now out) over the past six years or so, attempting to figure out what I want to do with my life and where I want to go to do it.  Somewhere along the line I concluded that I needed to leave the south and head west to seek my education (if not my fortune) and I'm now working on making that happen, but it's a long process.  Fortunately, I've had a start.  During my time in college I realized that geology was the perfect major for me after trying on several majors which did not fit.  Unfortunately, I've not had access to good universities and/or good libraries during this time (Most of you would weep if I calculated my book bills over the past five years...or propose marriage!), so my education is lacking in certain areas (mathematics comes to mind) and much of what I've learned was a result of my auto-didactic tendencies.  Fortunately, I've had the opportunity to meet a some great people during this stage of my life, and a few of them will be on my blog roll or commenting on the blog here and there.  They will certainly be reading it!...I hope.

What is this blog about?  Whatever holds my interest, really.  Topics covered will include music, cats, thoughts/reviews on books that I've read (which span a variety of genres), and perhaps some entry-level science and math topics derived from my self-study of various textbooks.  I may also cover video games, wet shaving, coffee and tea and cooking, to a lesser degree.  I'll also be posting interesting YouTube videos here and there and linking to blog posts that I like.  At some point in the future when I'm an advanced undergraduate I may open a separate blog for more serious geo-blogging.  I'll keep my readers posted if I do.  In the more immediate future I may start a series on intellectual heroes or influences.  If I ever develop a reasonably large pool of readers (say, ten or more) I may also post essays or (science forbid!!!) short stories here and ask for critiques.  Once I head out west I will occasionally post photographs I've taken of the desert.  You can also expect to see comics I find amusing, occasional cat pictures, and other assorted fluff.

I will try to avoid covering political subjects unless something really sets me off, and in the case of such an emergency I will do my best to keep my political biases out of the post.  Anyone interested in my politics can probably make a pretty good guess about them from the environmental and political blogs on my blog roll.  If anyone wishes to contact me I can be found at s0uthernge0l0gistATgmailD0Tcom. (Replace the '0's with 'o's.)

By the way, any new readers who find me may notice a semi-regular commenter here complaining about how various subjects I choose to discuss are boring.  Don't mind him, he's a very good friend of mine who just happens to be an intellectual vegetarian that lives on a strict diet of science, cats and Apple products.  That diet is a bit too thin for my tastes, but there are certainly much worse diets out there!

Welcome to my blog, and I hope that I write something worth reading! :)

-- SG

No comments:

Post a Comment